Labels

Monday, February 13, 2012

Helvetica


Helvetica was an enjoyable and enlightening documentary about the most comment font known to mankind today. If I had to try and sum up the movie I would say it was an oral history about the creation and use of the font Helvetica. When I first read the description of this movie I can't say I was excited to watch. I couldn't believe that anyone would care enough about a font to make a movie about it. But as the movie began and they started to explain what Helvetica is and how it affects our everyday life. It started to dawn on me that I’m simply too close to Helvetica to realize it’s even being used.
           (This was the drink I was drinking during the film...Helvetica was right under my noise.)

In the movie they explain this amazing font as air or gravity. Meaning it’s something we take for granted and I personally know it is! I don’t think I would have ever pointed out that one that a font is being used by 80% of corporation and our government. I honestly found it interesting that Helvetica became so popular the design community literally went out of their way to stop using it because it began to have negative connotation.
                                   (corporations going out of there way NOT to use Helvetica)

But Helvetica is so strong of a font that designers can’t help but come back to it and utilize the amazing power of the emptiness of the font. It has a fairly open ended interpretation and the way it doesn't take attention away from whats being presented or advertised (its a corporations dream.)

(a great example of how advertisers use Helvetica)


1.       What do you feel is the message the director is trying to express in this movie?  Support your answer with examples.
The message of the film as a little lost to me. Honestly first I felt it was going to be about just the history of Helvetica and how it shaped the corporate face of America (in scene 27:12). But then it started to talk about how it affected graphical design (in scene46:38) and lastly it had several designers talk about how they view Helvetica (in scene 1:10:20, 51:53, 1:05:47, and 57:35.) So if I had to say what the feel of the move was I would say the celebration and damnation of the font Helvetica.
2.       If applicable, discuss if you think this movie has accurate depictions of minorities or if they are situational? Why or why not?
Not applicable.
3.       Explain if you think the director’s ethnic/cultural/professional background played a role in directing this film?
I feel this film was a true documentary. Meaning, as far as I could tell, they only wanted the story and no view was forced onto the viewer.
4.       What groups (people of color, nationality, culture, class,gender etc.) may be offended or misinterpret this movie and why?
Honestly I could tell you. As far as offensive movies go I would say it’s safer than a Disney movie. They built a movie about a font. Simply put I can’t think of a subset of any group that could POSSABLY find this movie offensive. Maybe if they feel the documentary is lying to them…maybe.
5.       What the movie added to your visual literacy?
How some times less is more. Over and over again they show Helvetica used in very creative ways to express complex ideas.
6.       What kind of artistic and/or visual means did the director use in the movie to focus our attention?
The director never let us stay static too long in one spot. We hear a short story and then see some examples of art or advertisements or both. It doesn’t let you rest with one person or another too long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment