Labels

Sunday, April 29, 2012

AHA 5 The power of a story.



In class, we talked about examples of the strongest, most memorable scenes in your movie watching experience. To me there are two movies that really had an impact on me.  One was when I was a young teen “The Crow” and the other was “SLC Punk”. Both movies are some of the best films ever made and still hold up to this day. I still get the same feeling I had all those years ago when I first saw the movies. The first movie (The Crow) was about getting even and moving on and the second (SLC punk) was really about a man being forced to grow up even though he is fighting it tooth and nail. 


The Crow was really one of the first movies that made the good guy just as dark as the villains (well…almost as bad.) He wasn’t afraid to give it as bad as he got it and you felt he was justified. I found myself wanting him to punish those things.  I couldn’t call them humans. It was also one of the first movies that really tricked me into believing what the director wanted me to believe. The director (Alex Proyas) did such a good job making you fall in love with the couple (Eric Draven and Shelly Webster) that when they die, you have nothing but HATE for the things that caused their death. He also paints a pretty gritty picture of the villains by themselves.  By the time Eric is brought back, you want nothing but the worst things to happen to them.
I forgot they were humans…again I saw them as things. This doesn’t happen very often but I LOVE it when it does. When I can get SO lost in a story that I forget it isn’t really till the movie, game, or book is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment