Labels

Monday, April 30, 2012

Visual Symbols update



So in my first blog I talked about the phrase “visual symbols” and how it affects my life. In the post I talked about how different visual symbols affect my behavior. As I re-read I don’t talk about the media or how the media tricks me into buying product or thinking in some ways.  I talk about the impact biggest day to date is symbols in my car or other people cars. What was I thinking? It’s the media! Open an app on my phone…BOOM advertisement,
(...tricky I see you random sweepstakes...and I'm not falling for you...this time.)

(Look at all those apps...just waiting to spring and ad on me...yikes)


 turn on the tv…BOOM advertisement, or open my web browser…BOOM advertisement. One of the many things I have taken from this class is that I’m hyperaware of what I’m seeing and how it’s shaping my choices. It has made me more of a cynic sadly, but in advertising I tend to be right. 
(...what are you trying to sell? Shoes?...I bet its shoes!)

(Not falling for it! Plus I don't even wear heels!)

I still believe that my car symbols are still there to help keep me safe or at least informed; however, I also that I realized not that those symbols really don’t change my habits. But when I see an M & M advertisement and I find myself wanting M & M’s,  I realize that I’ve been tricked and I tip my hat to M & M’s. What really has changed though is what I do when an advertisement doesn’t work. I find myself asking why didn’t that work and before I know it I’m trying to solve the problem of the advertisement like it was a math problem. Sometimes for hours I’m asking myself if I wasn’t the right demographic, the wrong mood, or simply just a crappy advertisement. 

(Here are a few that still get me.)
(When it makes me make a "yummy" sound.)

(When I think its cool...)

(well... apparently when random things are Pokemon themed...who knew?) 

(DAMN...made a yummy sound...)

No comments:

Post a Comment